BECOME A MEMBER OF THE UI LATINX COUNCIL
The UI Latinx Council is comprised of current faculty, staff, and graduate students who identify within the community and/or want to support the work of the Latinx Council.
We welcome all faculty, staff, and grad students who support this work and the Latinx community to join us at monthly meetings. Meeting times will be posted in early September as well as a zoom link so some can join virtually.
Any University of Iowa faculty, staff, or grad students who are concerned with promoting the status of Latinx people at The University of Iowa are eligible for membership regardless of race, color, creed, age, national origin, religion, ethnic background, sex, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or veteran status.
- The Council aims to meet monthly with in-person and virtual options.*
- Becoming a member will ensure that outlook meeting invites are sent directly to you.
- You will also be listed as a member with your photo on our member list online.
- You will have future opportunities to lead the council as an executive board member, and/or vote for new leadership each election period, if you wish.
- We request that members try and make at least 2 meetings per semester during the academic year. (There will be other opportunities like lunches and get togethers as time and schedules allows.)
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MEMBER REQUEST FOR LATINX COUNCIL”, and include in the email:
- Name, Title, Department, Pronouns (if desired),
- And attach a photo to be used for your member profile
*Members will be asked to complete a doodle poll of most available times/days at the beginning of each semester to accommodate meeting times that work for the majority of our members and that include an equitable mix of faculty, staff, and grad students. Members can join anytime, however meeting times will be set for the semester after August 30th.
The UI Latinx Council primarily leads or promotes events that are related to Latinx culture. Each fall we host a welcome event for current members and any interested staff, faculty, graduate, and undergraduate students that are interested in joining. We host brown bag lunches and meetings every semester for our members.
Our members are often asked to serve on committees at The University of Iowa. Recently our members have been appointed to serve on the Reimagining Campus Safety Action Committee, Charter Committee on DEI, the Presidential Search Committee. Our Executive Board also serves on the Diversity Council and they collaborate with the AVP for DEI throughout the year.
We support student organizations that further Latinx interests such as LNACC and ALMA. In the past our council used to plan and organize Latinx Graduation ceremonies. Graduation planning now falls under LNACC but we continue to offer support by serving on their graduation committee.
"We recognize that being a member of the Latinx community means that we are multilingual, multiethnic, and multiracial, and we would like to uplift all these identities."
- 23' - 24' Latinx Council Executive Board